Re: [LUG] Rats

Hi,
> The annoying thing here was that all the lights showed green on the
> router/modem.  As far as it was concerned, there was no problem.
> However, logging in to it would show that there was no connectivity, no
> IP, and no DNS.  Therefore, no routing.

I know a few days ago, I kept losing sync with the exchange, even though I
sync at the maximum speed (8128/832) possible, and with plenty of SNR. The
ADSL has otherwise been rock solid, just the PPP occasionally reconnects.

Never had a problem with a lack of routing, even though everything "looks
good".

> Today, things seem fine.  So far.  If it is something getting wet
> somewhere, I know we'll have a hell of a job persuading BT there's a
> problem;
>
> They denied there was a problem a few months back, (ADSL worked but
> was slow, audio telephony was plagued with noise) even though they could
> here the line noise when we 'phoned to complain about it.  Eventually,
> we got hold of a sympathetic person, who sent an engineer.  Even the
> engineers 'phoned us to try a few things first, because they couldn't
> find a fault.  To be fair, that was to avoid charging us £80 or so for
> a call out to find it was customer equipment at fault.  It turned out
> that their cable had rotted away at a junction box on the telegraph
> pole.  All that technology, and sometimes, a pair of eyes is /still/ the
> best tool.

Getting BT to admit they have a problem is very difficult indeed. Back when
my exchange first got ADSL (07/2005, so nearly 2 years ago), and I finally
got connected, I could only download at 1Mbit max (I was paying for 2Mb). My
ISP at the time (Zen) got BT on the case. Someone from BT wholesale called
me, made me run some tests and said he would send out an engineer. I asked
him if contention was the issue, to which he said no. (I could only get
1Mbit exactly whatever time of day, so I doubt it was contention)

So the engineer came out, plugged his laptop in, ran a few tests and said
the line is fine (some streaming video thing?). I plugged in my laptop, ran
the BT speedtest, which showed the grand speed of 700Kbps. The engineer
blamed my equipment and left.

Not long after that my connection started working at full speed 24/7 - after
they charged me for that engineers visit! So it was hardly *my fault* at
all.

At least when I moved to Entanet, I got the full 7.15Mbit I was supposed to
get about 5 minutes after the migration happened. - and at least it's worked
perfectly since.