Re: [LUG] Are we too technical for our own good ?

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 12:54 +0100, Alex Charrett wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2007, george wrote:
>
> > I reckon there are a large number of lurkers out there
> > or the membership is very small.  A lot of people work on the principle
> > that if you keep your head down you won't attract thrown rocks.
>
> The list currently stands at a staggering 222 members, of which a small
> proportion are inactive/suspended for one reason or another.
>
> We've pondered before topic specific lists, wireless-exeter was one of
> them, but never something like a beginners list or perhaps a users list
> and an admin list.  Anything is possible if it's felt it would be
> beneficial.
>
> Alex.

Hello all,

A first post from me, I've been using PC's and Linux for a few years now
and I'm one of those "lurkers".

It has little to do with keeping my head down for fear of rocks, I see
this list in the same way as The Herald, I read it with interest and
write in only when I feel strongly enough to do so such as here.

I'm a member of several mailing lists and forums covering many diverse
subjects from Linux to Amateur Radio to ex Forces and on all of them
there are the members who lead from the front and there are those who
are in the crowd, just the same as "life", you can't do without either
group.

As for being too technical I'm afraid you can't make omelet without
breaking eggs, there have been many threads that are well beyond my
understanding which may get a brief glance followed by the Delete
button, I've also picked up some very useful tips but generally this is
the best mailing list I've subscribed to, keep it up.

Neil Harris