Re: [LUG] Are we too technical for our own good ?

On Wednesday 09 May 2007 10:28 pm, Tom Brough wrote:
> Firstly this should not be taken as criticism ..,
>
> I persuaded my mother to subscribe to this mailgroup, which she managed
> to do without my assistance ....  but within two weeks she decided that
> she could not follow any of the discussions,  and was too afraid to post
> questions. I was saddened by her account, but understood fully where she
> was comming from.
>
> So are we too technical for our own good ?
> Can we provide facilities that are less threatening to new / less
> technical users ?
>

> Tom.

I'm a relative beginner and I think the LUG is great and does what was
intended.  But it is not for everyone.  I spend at least an hour per day
(alright, 2) 'playing' with linux and the LUG is a good source of information
for me.  My wife, on the other hand, would not touch it with a bargepole,
although she spends at least 2 hours per day sat at a computer for pleasure.
She is just not interested in how it works and has no intention of finding
out.  If it didn't work and I was not there to fix it I believe she would
just abandon it and go back to other ways of doing things.  And I believe
that a large majority of computer users feel the same way.

Let's face it, most of us are at least a touch 'nerdish'.  You have to have an
interest in a subject before committing the amount of time we do.  And as for
posting to the list.  I reckon there are a large number of lurkers out there
or the membership is very small.  A lot of people work on the principle that
if you keep your head down you won't attract thrown rocks.

And that, IMHO, is how it should be.  We are all different and long may we be
so.  Tell you're Mum 'Hello. I'm sorry if we bored you, but thank you for
trying.'

George Parker