Re: [LUG] Ralink drivers and sky wireless netgear modem.

On Friday 20 April 2007 16:18, Ray Smith wrote:
> Am having great difficulties with this.
> I had installed ubuntu and had no joy in getting wireless working at all so
> installed opensuse 10.2 as had read that there was good support for ralink
> drivers in linux and suse hase modules for them.

It is really easy to do - but you will need to know where your specific distro
expects to find the config file.
On (K)Ubuntu, it is in /etc/Wireless (from memory, the Wireless folder had to
be created by myself!).
My rt2500 based wifi expects a config file called RT2500STA.dat in a folder
called RT2500STA. Simply create the file and folder, then write the details
to your file.
For example, mine is like this -

# Copy this file to /etc/Wireless/RT2500STA/RT2500STA.dat
# This file is a binary file and will be read on loading rt2500.o module.
# Use "vi -b RT2500STA.dat" to modify settings according to your need.

[Default]
CountryRegion=0
WirelessMode=0
TXBurst=0
TurboRate=0
BGProtection=0
ShortSlot=0
TxRate=0
PSMode=CAM

SSID=ssidof your router
NetworkType=Infra
Channel=11
AuthMode=WPAPSK
EncrypType=TKIP
#DefaultKeyID=1
#Key1Type=0
#Key1Str=
#Key2Type=0
#Key2Str=
#Key3Type=0
#Key3Str=
#Key4Type=0
#Key4Str=
WPAPSK=mysneakypassword
#RTSThreshold=2312
#FragThreshold=2312
PSMode=CAM
#RFMON=0

Thats all there is to it. Without this file, you can get wep to work and of
course unencrypted - but not wpa-psk.
You may well discover a basic config file template exists in somewhere
like /usr/share/doc/yourdrivername  or something.

Mark