Re: [LUG] Replace the useless GTK filebrowser?

On 3/27/07, Simon Williams <systemparadox@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Apologies in advance...

Alright that's it. Konqueror is amazing as a file browser, and pretty
good as a web browser, but for some reason I prefer firefox (and it has
a flash plugin (which sometimes works)) for web browsing.

However, the GTK filebrowser and {the thing that gives you a list of
appropriate applications for the filetype you are trying to open} are
driving me completely insane.

They have got to be the most cluttered, inefficient and unfriendly
interfaces that have ever been implemented for Linux.

- The filebrowser is the most messy interface ever invented
- It doesn't have any form of completion
- You can't type paths in- everything has to be done by clicking (unless
you want to type the full and exact path, but you can't change folder
this way either)#

Try pressing ctrl-L, as the documentation says (ha!)

- There is only ever 1 application in the list of suggested apps
- It's never the one I want
- TO SELECT ANOTHER APPLICATION IT OPENS THE FILEBROWSER!!!!!!!! So you
then have to find the application (which requires knowing if it's in
/usr/bin /opt/something or elsewhere)- you can't just type the command
like you can in KDE
- It doesn't remember my choice of application

That's not GTK, that's iceweasel's selector thing. The proper one doesn't have these issues.

I know I don't run gnome and so I'm probably lacking the configuration I
would otherwise have, but this is just plain stupid.

So how do I replace this with the KDE one?

Successfully petition the mozilla developers to switch to Qt, I suspect...
Or you could just get an extension.

Do other people honestly put up with this? How?

Most people appear to tolerate the file saving dialogue. It's being replaced in 2.20...
No bugger ever actually opens something directly from the web, do they?

--
Ben Goodger
#391382