[LUG] Replace the useless GTK filebrowser?

Apologies in advance...

Alright that's it. Konqueror is amazing as a file browser, and pretty
good as a web browser, but for some reason I prefer firefox (and it has
a flash plugin (which sometimes works)) for web browsing.

However, the GTK filebrowser and {the thing that gives you a list of
appropriate applications for the filetype you are trying to open} are
driving me completely insane.

They have got to be the most cluttered, inefficient and unfriendly
interfaces that have ever been implemented for Linux.

- The filebrowser is the most messy interface ever invented
- It doesn't have any form of completion
- You can't type paths in- everything has to be done by clicking (unless
you want to type the full and exact path, but you can't change folder
this way either)
- There is only ever 1 application in the list of suggested apps
- It's never the one I want
- TO SELECT ANOTHER APPLICATION IT OPENS THE FILEBROWSER!!!!!!!! So you
then have to find the application (which requires knowing if it's in
/usr/bin /opt/something or elsewhere)- you can't just type the command
like you can in KDE
- It doesn't remember my choice of application

I know I don't run gnome and so I'm probably lacking the configuration I
would otherwise have, but this is just plain stupid.

So how do I replace this with the KDE one?

Do other people honestly put up with this? How?

Please rebuke me wherever necessary.

Thanks
Simon