Re: [LUG] getgnulinux.org

Matt Lee wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>

>> I have to agree with Tom here,   I am trying to encourage new users to
>> switch to Linux and free software,  join the lug and chatrooms etc,
>> however feel that arguments regarding distro based on how much free
>> software is actually in there,  is not helpful,  At the end of the day a
>> user wants a working system, if the solution is to use non free drivers
>> then so be it,   we just explain the difference,  and campaign to get
>> more free drivers.
>>

> What if the user wants Photoshop? Microsoft Office? Flash?
> Proprietary codecs? Nvidious or ATI drivers? RealPlayer? Adobe
> Acrobat? Opera?
>
> If we're going to start promoting proprietary software, or even
> recommending it to people, then I think we're failing as an
> organisation.
>
> matt

I am over my head here,  I don't agree that we  have failed just because
someone uses proprietary code,   the more people we can get using
Linux,  the more people we can hopefully get to campaign for better open
support by  vendors.

We need to educate there is an alternative,  and that the alternative is
usable by users,   while at the same time teach the ethos of free
software,   getting someone to switch from Windows to Linux should be
seen as an achivement,  lets help people,  it will take time but take it
one step at a time,

MS office - Will Openoffice do the job tasks you want
Photoshop - Will gimp or another free graphics package do the job.

I think free and propritary can exist side by side,  on the same
system,   lets not put uses off by saying "can't do that its against the
free software ethos, ) if you do they may simply give up,   and if they
do We really have failed.

Look at ID software, they have relased their code as gpl,  and to great
effect,  more people will follow suit,  the bigger the Linux user base
gets,  the better,  esp if everyone is on board and willing to campaign
to get free / open drivers etc.  We just need to get people on board
first.

lets do things one step at a time.

Regarding pdf,  that is a very useful format,  even the Ldp uses it for
documents,   surely we can be a little flexible on this.

Paul

--

http://www.openoffice.org
http://www.linux.org