Re: [LUG] Which ISP?

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 13:11, Jonathan Roberts wrote:

> Where did you find out about this?! I'm with Pipex and I don't think
> I've noticed this - I'm pretty sure I've downloaded over a gig in a
> week during those hours too. If that's correct though, bloody hell!
> I've put up with the limits on bittorrent despite wanting to use if
> for legitimate purposes (have you tried encryption to get around the
> limits? it didn't seem to work for me) but limiting your http usage to
> such a ridiculous level is crazy!
>
> Jon

The Naughty server (or bad boy server) is a 21x. IP address, as opposed to the
usual 8x. ones Pipex use.
It is covered many times on forums etc -
http://www.mobilemaster.co.uk/Clientsites/pipex/index.php
for example has lots of rants about traffic shaping (warning - it is slow!).
Wikipedia has several links about Pipex "customer service" -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipex
I have seen the dreaded naughty server IP here once or twice - it is a
ridiculous limit - there are four of us here with an unlimited connection.
Personally, I found the change in Fair Use Policy which they introduced a few
months ago is very unfair - but even then there is no actual official mention
of the restriction above - just the mention of traffic shaping. They have
been issuing some letters out to "heavy" users, making them sign an agreement
to ease off - which is silly when we pay for unlimited usage!

Yes, I do use encryption for my (genuine - iso downloads) p2p activity. It is
still not always that wonderful though - I tend to find using http is
actually faster. The pressure is then placed on the servers hosting the iso
images - which is the whole point of using p2p to ease such a strain.

Mark