Re: [LUG] Whats so "dirty" about command line

On 10/02/07, Tom Brough <tombrough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Simon Waters wrote:
>
> >Tom Brough wrote:
> >

> >>Whats so "dirty" about the command line ? You make using the command
> >>line sound like breaking the 11th commandment "THOUST  SHALT NOT USE THE
> >>COMMAND LINE!"
> >>

> >It is fine if you've invested the time to learn to use it, which takes
> >about a week of learning (30 to 35 hours) for Mr/Mrs average. That is
> >rather more than most people need to learn to drive a car, which is far
> >more useful than bash shell (unless you work in IT)...........
> >

> Me thinks Simon took me a little too seriously ...... :-)
>
> On the other hand I have always thought that as well as  Reading,
> Writing and Arithmetic, "Bash Shell Programming" should be the next
> highest priority on the primary school agenda.
>
> Hmmmm.........
>
> Perhaps I should write a "Bash shell for every environment" book to
> counter the publishing tendancy towards such gripping titles as "Word
> for windows [98|XP|2000|Vista]". Followed by my other favourite "regex
> for tiny tots".
>
> Tom.
>

> --

Stating the obvious, but there is a big difference between using the
command line (about half an hour to learn the basics) and learning to
program in bash.

I've been using Linux since 1999 and have never felt a need for bash
programming, another more complicated than a pipe  use Perl!