Re: [LUG] File Server

Richard Brown wrote:

> 1. Ram more important than cpu for a file server.

Agree.

> 2. Rack or tower doesn't matter - noise is a factor.

Agree. A proper server is *loud*. IF noise is an issue, consider a
normal PC.

> Do I need raid configured please?

Typically, you set some options in the bios or the raid control (which
comes up after bios if you have a raid card), such as type of raid and
the disks to include. From then on it is considered a single drive by
the OS and you. (Note this only applies to hardware raid controllers.
Onboard or card. Don't be going the software raid route)

> Should I get a fast sata disk (Neil talked about I/O being a blockage
> rather than cpu)?

You can.

> Can I run a server using 2 x 250 gig hard drives or would it be better
> to get one 500 gig hard drive?

Depends on the data and personal taste. I prefer fewer bigger drives,
simpler to image and lay out.

> Should I use Intel rather than AMD? (I am told AMD might not be as
> reliable as Intel).

Bollocks. Both are 100% reliable in every way. The ONLY difference
between comparable versions is some tiny little performance issues on
different areas. To the user they're no different.

> Back to the Mac thing. I know that the client will want a new box. So
> if I buy a new Mac box he will want to use the fact that you can run
> 'doze on the box and possibly even Linux. In short it won't be a file
> server, it will become a desktop as well. This is a big no as far as I
> can tell?

You can do it, depends how many files you need to serve and whether you
have enough resources free to run a desktop, and are prepared to accept
some performance loss when the user is doing something cpu intensive.
A file server can be anything from a laptop with a network share to a
users's holiday pics to a full-on madly screaming bank of rackmounted
behemoths sucking enough power for a medium sized city.

> Additional questions outside of the file server. What would you
> recommend in terms of ups and backup please? Backup would seem handled
> by dvd writer but would it be worth getting a hd caddy as well and
> rotate or even usb thumb drives?

You'll find it tricky backing up 500gb chunks of data onto a dvd or
flashdrive. Backup planning is tricky but basically boils down to "what
are you prepared to lose?" and then making a copy of it every xx
minutes/hours. Normally you'd have another machine on the lan taking a
file or disk image of what you want to keep during the "off-peak" times.

If the data is not that important and your time in replacing it when it
dies not begrudged, then by all means just image the critical files
(configurations) and/or the OS itself onto dvd/flash.

I also prefer to use a small drive for the OS and programs, and larger
drives just for data. Makes it easier and more flexible in setting
everything out.