Re: [LUG] File Server

Hi Neil

On 13/01/07, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:20:03 +0000
> "Richard Brown" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Firstly, servers. The customer is currently disappointed with Dell and
> > > so wants to look elsewhere. He is looking to spend around £2500 which
> > > includes a rack on a rack mounted server. I obviously want to get the
> > > best spec for him and the best equipment. What would you recommend
> > > please?
>
> Consider a second-hand box - use dcglug.org.uk as an example if the
> customer is worried. Hosting the box costs a LOT more than the box
> itself. Who will be hosting this server? Who pays the bill? Do you
> really need a real server of your own? Has the customer considered
> shared hosting, virtual servers and other existing online arrangements?
> All manner of hosting can be arranged online, from simple webhosts to
> hosting your own box in their racks. Try positive-internet, RackSpace
> and any number of others.
Ok - thanks Neil - I'll dump the web server idea. I have my own hosted
server but the client was thinking he could save costs! I'll talk him
out of it.

> The box that runs the dcglug.org.uk site (and many others) cost £120.
>
> > > Secondly, distros. What would be the best to get please?
>
> I doubt you'll find anyone seriously considering any distribution other
> than Debian for servers. The only question is whether to use stable or
> testing and this close to the Etch release, it doesn't matter that
> much. There are pre-release images available for Etch and by the time
> you actually install this server, Etch may finally have been released
> anyway.
Ok - Debian it is. Thanks.

> > I am looking
> > > for something that I can administer and learn as I go along. He wants
> > > raid - which one would be best please? I have been recommended CentOS.
> > > I would like to be able to manage the whole through a gui at first.
>
> You should not install a GUI on an internet server. You can use webmin
> to configure the box over a local connection but make sure that is
> secure (or removed) before connecting the server to the internet. This
> isn't Windows - forget all the GUI stuff, don't even install it.
>
> What Simon and I did was connect the server to a simple CRT monitor for
> the time required for the installation, then configure via ssh until it
> was ready to have the internet connection connected - a separate box
> does the firewalling.
>
> You should do something similar: divide the tasks so that this server
> does not have to do the firewall itself.
Ok - does the above mean a huge learning curve or something I can get
going on please?

> > > The server will support 5 clients but increasing to 10. It needs to be
> > > configured to serve files and possibly web.
>
> Sounds like a trivial workload for any server even remotely recent.
> £2,500 sounds like complete overkill for such trivial amounts of work.
> When you say 'support' - do you mean thin-client type support? That's
> more intensive because of the amount of data being moved around the
> LAN. Ordinary sharing of home directories, a printer or two and a web
> proxy does no, IMHO, require a £2,500 server. £500 - £1,000 maybe.
What spec then? Obviously not a Xeon chip at this price!

> I suspect Neil S. has setup a variety of servers with similar or higher
> workloads - I'm guessing each one cost a lot less than £2,500.
> Remember, there are no licences to pay here - it sounds like your
> customer has been duped into thinking he needs a mega-spec box for
> mini-spec workloads.
>
> £2,500 would be enough to buy, install and configure *three* capable
> rack servers!
>
> > Add to that - is it better to get a rack mounted monitor or dump one
> > on top of the cabinet please?
>
> Rack units are hellishly noisy - you need to have a separate room with
> some degree of sound proofing. (Remember, you need a firewall box as
> well as the server, possibly doubling the noise. The firewall box can
> be very basic and very low spec.)
>
> Desktop towers always take up more room per device than a rack mount
> and you then need to ensure you have a UPS and trail cables around the
> place to the firewall box etc. Having a rack just puts the UPS, the
> firewall and the server(s) close together.
>
> If you have a rack and a room to put it, look into getting a rack
> server. It's easier to use a rack server in a rack than to use a
> desktop tower in a rack.

We don't have a rack - would it be better to get a tower or a rack
considering the need for:
File server
Firewall - do we need this with just a file server
UPS
Switch
Backup device

I was considering something like this:
<http://www.nasdatastorage.co.uk/productsinfrantreadynasnv.htm>
What do you think? Or even maybe a Mac Mini or tower. I know Mac
systems much better.

Many thanks.
--
Rich