Re: [LUG] XP Disk Needed

2006/12/25, Simon Robert <simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Eion MacDonald wrote:
> > Grant Sewell wrote:

> well I don't have the recovery disks, if I did I would have used them.
> All I care about is that when the people I return it to try to download
> patches, service packs etc, it's not identified as an illegal key. The
> likelihood of anyone actually noticeing the software has been
> transferred, keys don't match etc, is infinitesimal.

Perhaps permission should have been sought before wiping the laptop,
or at least preparing.

The right thing to do is to explain XP was uninstalled and they will
need to reinstall it.  There is not really a way for you to reinstall
if they are on a Volume License (Which most government bodies are).
Not just any old key will work with any medium.  Some keys will only
work with special Volume Media which you can only get if you have ann
MSDN subscription etcetera.

If you were to use a Retail license, you get up to 10 activations,
,with OEM licenses I believe you get 2 or 3 (before having to call MS
to explain why you have to activate again).  Volume Licensing
activation limits vary to the contract (and are the only time licenses
are allowed to be transfered, in writing from MS of course).

Maybe the BIOS has a hidden recovery partition that you didn't wipe
while installing Linux.  Otherwise, having some sort of unworkable
system may be your safest bet if you don't get cooperation to have XP
reloaded, or fear discipline more than a moral standing.