Re: [LUG] XP Disk Needed

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Simon Robert wrote:
>> Sorry about this one. I have a laptop which was on loan (though I didn't
>> fully realise this). It is very happy running PCLinuxOS, but the public
>> sector body who own it want XP re-installed. Is there anyone out there
>> with an XP disk, Pro or Home, that they can either spare or lend me?
>
> Unless its a copy of XP bought from the shop (ie a retail not OEM
> version) then you can't transfer the licence to another PC so you can't
> legaly have an old XP disk.
>
> Even with a retail version you are expected to stick the sticker to the
> PC and then that is probably non transferable afterwards as well. If you
> can get the sticker with the disks you will *probably* be licensed.

I was under the impression that the installation media was of almost
zero importance... it is the license that is of utmost importance.  If
the laptop still has that horrible XP sticker with a product-key on it,
would it not be perfectly reasonable and perfectly legal to obtain a CD
from another source (copy, download, etc) and then use your genuine XP
license key with it?

--Grant.