Re: [LUG] Software warranties are for mugs

How do you define fitness for purpose it was sold for,

if you buy a toaster then you use that for making toast,

software on the other hand can be used for anything,  a word processor
to custom made software,   if you ask too much of it sometimes that
particular piece of software may fall over,   and fail to perfom on that
task,   which is why I think this disclaimer is important,   also why
we  have acronyms like Your Mileage May Vary,  you can't predict what
someone will use the software for,   and therefore can't make promises
regarding perfomance.

Anti Virus software is good at it's job,  but only if kept up todate,
at somepoint,  a virus will come out that it does not know about and
that may get through,   now if a user has clicked on en e-mail
attachment and activated the virus,  the software fails you can't go
blame the anti virus vendor,

same would go for filtering software,  it can't filter every site out
there,  new sites appear all the time,  so the software does the best
job it can' but they need the disclaimer just in case something nasty
gets  through.

at the end of the day shops are  offer impartial advice,   on software,
the recommend a package based on what the user has said they want to use
it for,

MS works is great for homework, etc,   you can type letters,  reports
etc etc,  as you would expect,  great until you need to export to MS
word format for example but if you bought it for writing letters etc,
then it perfoms that task.  If you want to produce MS word documents you
need MS word or openoffice

Same goes for open office,  yes it has a word export feature,  but as we
know it may not be 100% so don't blame them if you export your cv into
word,  and it looks bad when it hits the desk of the recruiter, (one of
the reasons I export as pdf and send that, I can check the output).

Windows NT + ISS can be used to serve webpages,  it works, there are
just problems with security,  that does not mean it not fit for the
purpose it was sold for,  the user is then responsible for making sure
the software is set up properly and securly.

Paul

--
http://www.zleap.net
http://www.openoffice.org