Re: [LUG] Software warranties are for mugs

Neil Stone wrote:
> You can't actually "buy" a copy of MS Word, just a license that
> Microsoft can choose to revoke, at some point, for some reason..

I have not yet been convinced of either of those propositions.

AFAIK and IANAL, neither has a court capable of setting precedent in
England.

Microsoft Word, last time I looked, like SuSE and other software was
available for sale as a box, which one might find on a shelf inviting a
tender of money to purchase it, take off the shelf, offer money to the
cashier at the exit of the shop, and having done what looks like buying
an object then reasonably think one had bought an object and become
entitled to use it in all legal ways.

As a short-cut to that one may get Open|Novell SuSE GNU/Linux by
downloading it, and it seems quite clear that if it is offered for
download for no consideration that one has not bought it.  I don't think
that MS offer Windows or Word on that basis, but they certainly offer
trial versions of it on that basis - I had one of 2003 Server.