Re: [LUG] SATA v PATA

David Bell wrote:
> I'm in the process of ordering components for an Athlon 64 Linux, single disk
> desktop box and am undecided (baffled) as to which type of hdd to use.  Any
> pro's or con's/advice from users would be appreciated.

 From my experience, go PATA unless you have a very specific reason not to.

Yes, SATA works with linux most of the time, but you'll need a much
newer kernel than most distros will have, and there's still some
hoop-jumping to go through, for marginal speed increases and some tidier
cabling.

If you want things to "just work", go PATA and *know* that technology is
mature and supported by everything. The connectors are also a damned
sight more robust than SATA's.

I also thoroughly second David's mention to avoid Maxtor. In any
incarnation they've caused me more RMA's than any other drive over the
past four years by a significant factor.