Re: [LUG] amd64 was something to do with browsers

On 9/22/06, Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have just built a amd64 and installed Kubuntu on the machine. I do keep
> having a few problems and wonder whether I have done things correctly!

List your specific problems then we can help :-)

> I am not sure whether I have set the motherboard up correctly, or what I
> should do with the disk that comes with the motherboard, etc. When I finished
> building the computer I tried to put the motherboard disk in but it wouldn't
> boot of the disk, so I installed Kubuntu. Have I done this wrong please? And
> how do I find drivers for all the extras I have got? Is it better to start
> again and re-install Kubuntu but this time with the sound card attached and
> also the flat screen. The came after the initial set-up.

The only setting up of the motherboard should be done in the BIOS
settingsby pressing DEL or F1/F2 or whatever when the system first is
switched on. Most default settings will get things going and other
that disk drives you don't often have to change very much at all.

What are you doing with that motherboard CD, it probably only contains
windows drivers for various chipset bits, it might have a mother board
reference manual on it but thats about it. Why are you trying to boot
of it?.

There is no need to reinstall that will achieve very little. Instead
you should just plug in your devices and see if they are detected. If
not you will need to hunt out a driver, people here can help but we
need specific details.

You may need to reconfigure for your flat screen but I suspect it will
just work if you plug it in anyway. Its not like the bad old days
where you could kill a old CRT monitor with the wrong settings.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk