Re: [LUG] You dont wnat to do it like that.....

James Fidell wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
>

>> When I say web based I should have really expanded to say
>> browser/webserver based. That way you can work on your local webserver
>> when not connected, or as you please.
>> Web based word processing is here and once companies realise they can
>> use it to save 90% of their IT budget it will take off!
>>

> So who will be responsible for making sure the local webserver and
> applications are up-to-date?  And how does that relate to one of your
> arguments for this model which was, IIRC, that management of
> applications and data could be centralised?
>
> Wasn't one of your other benefits that company data wouldn't be
> compromised if a laptop was lost because it wouldn't actually
> contain the data itself?  Doesn't having a local copy to work on
> when offline negate that benefit?
>
> James

The client and server can exist on the same machine for a 'home' user.
If you want to be a 'home' user then obviously you would update your
local server yourself - possibly as part of 'distribution'?

 If you were part of a company then  your data would be stored on a
central server - as would the programs that run in the browser - they
are after all only html/css/javascript/xml files.
 The  server controls access - you can use  directory services if you
like - which you can control through a browser. If you are one of the
awkward squad - i.e. sales on the road then your local copy of the
software would be updated from the main server when they were online and
your new data downloaded to the main server at the same time. These are
transactional operations and can be done safely - databases can
synchronise very easily these days so that would be the easy way to do
it. This is only necessary for those people who magically cannot get
connected when out of the office but still seem to get all the web virii
going!

So home user gets to be god over his own machine and data, a company
gets to control its own data and not spend a small fortune on installing
software/os updates  and if you do get a salesperson that never connects
to the internet then you probably win some kind of award. If they lose
their laptop - as often seems to happen when called in for a system
update they can still work on any internet connected machine, and you've
only lost a limited amount of data if they really have made the effort
to keep off the web.
IT can be on permanent holiday/on call  in the Caymans so long as they
can get access to the internet somewhere - and don't forget their passwords.
Tom te tom te tom