Re: [LUG] Databases again

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> Some research has shown me that, as root, I just enter
> mysqld_safe & and away she goes. I must not include the bit about user
> and mysql. To stop the server I use 'mysqldadmin shutdown' (as root).
> Now I can play a bit.

This is pretty much what I'd expect the start-up script to do, just with
a few more parameters.  For example, on a Centos 4.3 box, I see:

  /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe --defaults-file=/etc/my.cnf
--pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

Since the above works for you, the obvious place to look for the
cause of the trouble would be the start-up script.  Perhaps it's
passing some other parameters to mysqld_safe that cause the daemon
to fail.  Running

  sh -x /usr/share/mysql/mysql.server start

and going through the output might shed some light on that.

James