[LUG] Databases again

I have had some discussion about databases in Linux already. Now here
is a follow up to some of it.

Mysql - I can't seem to get it to run properly, mainly because it can't
fine the relevant socket. Since I am only researching at the moment, I
just can't be bothered with it any more, so farewell to mysql, for the
time being at least.

Kexi - I have got it running, sort of. I can create a table OK. Then I
tried to create a form to go with the table, but I just can't find out
how to link the form to the table. Crazy.

Also, as a test I made a change to the table format by adding an extra
field. I was allowed to do that but when I wanted to save the new
version I was told that the table held some data, 'which would all be
deleted'!! I am still laughing hysterically.

OpenOffice Base - I still can't fathom out how to download and install
it for a test. I must be getting stupid in my old age.

Knoda - well it links to sqlite2, sqlite3 and xbase. Fine. I created a
test table. Fine. Then I tried to make a change to the table by adding
a field, just as a test you understand. When I went to the design page
everything was greyed out so I couldn't do anything. Am I really
expected to get a table layout perfect first time??

Knoda would probably work better with mysql if I could get that working
properly.

Oh well, onwards and upwards ....

Neil Winchurst