Re: [LUG] /dev/sda1 has gone

Paul Sutton wrote:

> I know I need mknod /dev/sda1 b
>
> where b is block device, but it needs major and minor numbers,  the
> output from mknod --help is helpful to a point, but I don't understand
> the major / miinor bit

Major device number is as per list in /proc/devices

Minor number depends on the device I believe.

The shell history is always a good place to check when you've done it
before but didn't take notes (history | grep mknod).

I'd expect modern distros to "just do it", in that the device should
appear on your desktop when plugged in, no device files, no messing about.

What distro, what kernel, hotplug or udev installed?

 Simon