Re: [LUG] My LCD project

Robin Cornelius wrote:

> For little or no reason i added a LCD display to my Debian server at work
>
> http://www.cornelius.demon.co.uk/LCD.JPG
>
> Looks cool eh?

The geek in me says... COOOOOOOL! :-)

> I'm a bit stuck how to make it really useful however, the display is a
> 128x64 with a KS0108 controller and most LCD projects out there seem
> to only support character displays while this is a full graphical one.
> I have found a pre written driver as part of the linux video disk
> recorder project, a plug in for these displays
> http://developer.berlios.de/projects/graphlcd/

I guess something like this could be of use in a server room so techies
can glance at the LCD to see that the system is running okay.  I guess
uses would be things like CPU load, free memory, disk space, network
usage, or even just trying to get Doom running on it would be cool :-)

> There are some test tools as part of the main package and i have
> hacked the showtext tool to allow continuous stdin so now i can print
> text files or pipe a log file to the display, which i think is cool. I
> think i should finish this properly and send a patch back to the
> developers. I currently have syslog tailing on the display :-)

> I would like to have a button really to change what is displayed but
> not sure the best way to go about adding this.

One way I guess if you have enough pins left on the parallel port would
be to hack together an old Atari 2600 joystick to parallel port
adaptor.  Then rather than having a joystick wired in, you could have
something with buttons wired up to +5V and then back to the individual
pin on the parallel port.  If the pins get +5V to them they would
register this as either joystick movements or the pressing of a
firebutton.  From memory, the Atari 2600 joystick (which is also used on
the C64, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Amiga) is one of the easiest to wire up
since it generally only has the 4 directions (up, down, left and right)
and one fire button giving you 5 possible buttons.  I'm sure there must
be a driver which could be used with this, not sure if there is anything
in the Kernel, I can't say I've looked at getting a joystick working on
a Linux box.

Other alternative assuming the parallel port hasn't got enough free pins
would be to try using the standard PC joystick port (found on most
cheapo sound cards and most standard ATX motherboards).  Not sure though
if the PC joystick port is analogue or digital though.

Rob