[LUG] My LCD project

For little or no reason i added a LCD display to my Debian server at work

http://www.cornelius.demon.co.uk/LCD.JPG

Looks cool eh?

I'm a bit stuck how to make it really useful however, the display is a 128x64 with a KS0108 controller and most LCD projects out there seem to only support character displays while this is a full graphical one. I have found a pre written driver as part of the linux video disk recorder project, a plug in for these displays http://developer.berlios.de/projects/graphlcd/

There are some test tools as part of the main package and i have hacked the showtext tool to allow continuous stdin so now i can print text files or pipe a log file to the display, which i think is cool. I think i should finish this properly and send a patch back to the developers. I currently have syslog tailing on the display :-)

But i just want some ideas and comments really, and easy suggestions of how to get other info on the display, i suppose now it is very easy to use perl or something to stream system info to the display. I would like to have a button really to change what is displayed but not sure the best way to go about adding this.

If anybody wants to do this themselves I don't mind helping either, there is a total rats nest on the back of the pannel and as this is an LCD we use in products its not USB or serial so its wired into the parallel port.

Regards

Robin