Re: [LUG] Palm Lifedrive & Linux

Neil Williams wrote:

On Saturday 31 December 2005 3:09 pm, Simon Robert wrote:
I am attempting to connect a lifedrive to mandriva 2006. I have kpilot
installed and the palm is recognised when I connect it and the
/dev/pilot node created. Also I can use it in drive mode with no
problem. However when I try hotsync with kpilot it stops at %30 of the
update with a message about being unable to access system information.

pilot-link is in the midst of an overhaul for the much delayed 0.12 release. 0.11.8 is two years old. I can't see that Mandriva would have 0.12-pre1 or later, so it must be 0.11.8

Which version of pilot-link are you using? (the kpilot version is completely irrelevant, all the work is done by pilot-link.)

Can you connect sensibly using the command line tools?

pilot-xfer -l
(or pilot-xfer -p /dev/pilot -l
if you haven't exported PILOTPORT)

I've tried jpilot too.

Gee whizz, some people! You just can't leave the GUI's alone can you! Forget the front-end, get into the gubbins of the thing at the command line!!!
:-)

This seems more cryptic and just quits asking me to kill PIDnnnnn and try again. When I try this the PID doesn't exist
and another try results in the same. And it also removes /dev/pilot.

Then don't use the symlink. Find what it's pointing at, find what dmesg says for the connected port(s) and go from there. /dev/pilot is deprecated anyway.

Any pointers would be really helpful as I'd really like to do all this
stuff with linux, rather than dragging my address book etc to windows
and then updating the palm.

Which distribution?

You could try pilot-link-0.12-pre4 via Debian experimental but this has known problems with USB connections - better to go for current pilot-link-0.12 CVS (which may be released as -pre5 or as 0.12.0).

Your addresses can be retrieved using pilot-qof=0.0.6-1 in Debian experimental but there are changes in some other object tables in 0.0.7 so you'd be well advised to follow the advice I gave Henry about using 0.0.7 (which works with pilot-link 0.11.8) from my trivial apt repository:

http://www.dcglug.org.uk/archive/2005/12/msg00229.html

Then you'll have access to the Calendar, ToDo and Expenses as well as Contacts.

What OS is the LifeDrive using? Which version?

(Hint: in future, remember to specify all the version details in queries like this!)

thanks, I will get version 12 pre4. The mandriva version is an 11. something. The version of the palm OS is 2.0. But re the other mail I am currently struggling to get anything to work. The "5 minute" ROM reading process is currently up to 20 minutes.

Thanks again.

Simon

-