Re: [LUG] Reinstall LILO

On 11/11/05, David Johnson <dj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday 11 Nov 2005 14:50, Julian Hall wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I need to reinstall Windows (shock I know).  Anyway the system dual
> > boots.  I know how to get LILO back up and running after Windows
> > stuffs the MBR, but what I don't know is how to make a Linux boot disk
> > (daft I know).  Can I just use a live distro and run 'linux
> > root=/dev/hda8' (linux boots off hda8 in my system)?
> >

> There are a few of ways to do it:
>
> The first is to boot the installation CD for your distribution (it should be
> the same distribution so it's the same kernel, although others may work) and
> pass root=whatever.
>
> The other way is to boot a live-CD distribution, mount your distro's root
> partition and 'chroot' into it. You can then just run lilo as if you were
> booted into your installed system.
>
> Alternatively it is possible to make a Linux boot disk, but I don't know how
> to do it. I'm sure someone else on this list does though.
>
> HTH,
> David.

You can make a grub boot disk quite easily if you have it installed
and access to a Linux partition,

with a floppy in the disk drive you run something akin to

dd if=/boot/grub/stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
dd if=/boot/grub/stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1

The full instructions are in info grub -> Installation -> Creating a
boot floppy.

This will then load the grub command prompt, from which you can load
your kernel and initrd or whatever.

I did know how to do it with lilo once, (I believe you change the
location of the bootable partition to /dev/fd0 then install lilo),
though it has to be 2-3 years since I did it, so don't trust me.

This is of course "bloke down the pub" advice and you should be highly
suspicious of it as it is likely to destroy your system.

Hope this helps,

Tom