Re: [LUG] Reinstall LILO

On Friday 11 Nov 2005 14:50, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need to reinstall Windows (shock I know).  Anyway the system dual
> boots.  I know how to get LILO back up and running after Windows
> stuffs the MBR, but what I don't know is how to make a Linux boot disk
> (daft I know).  Can I just use a live distro and run 'linux
> root=/dev/hda8' (linux boots off hda8 in my system)?

There are a few of ways to do it:

The first is to boot the installation CD for your distribution (it should be
the same distribution so it's the same kernel, although others may work) and
pass root=whatever.

The other way is to boot a live-CD distribution, mount your distro's root
partition and 'chroot' into it. You can then just run lilo as if you were
booted into your installed system.

Alternatively it is possible to make a Linux boot disk, but I don't know how
to do it. I'm sure someone else on this list does though.

HTH,
David.

--
David Johnson