Re: [LUG] Problems: Ethernet and GRUB

Chris Hawkins wrote:

> Firstly one of the machines refused to boot out of GRUB, returning error
> 13, even after nuking it with the ultimate boot cd and then
> reinstalling. I know there is nothing wrong with the install as it
> worked perfectly on an identical machine. Any ideas?

I've seen 13 before as well :(

I think it means it could not find a suitable image to boot from.

Trust the software, the machines aren't identical (or you took a
different route through installing), check the bios settings, and
hardware plugged in especially IDE hardware (old dead disks inside, that
kind of thing). Finding the difference might be useful.

Post the grub config file, and a copy of /etc/fstab, if you are still
stuck.

There are alternative hacks, like boot from a live CD, chroot into the
mounted hard disk, and install lilo, and hope lilo makes a better guess
at how to set up the boot partition. Not clever, but it might just get
the system booting sensibly. Me I like to figure out what went wrong o I
know better next time, but others just want to use the computers.