[LUG] Problems: Ethernet and GRUB

Hi all,

A while ago some of you may remember me posting about a youth cafe in Tavy i was doing the PCs for, well today was the day, and what a day.

Firstly one of the machines refused to boot out of GRUB, returning error 13, even after nuking it with the ultimate boot cd and then reinstalling. I know there is nothing wrong with the install as it worked perfectly on an identical machine. Any ideas?

And secondly they all have a 3 com EtherLink III ISA 10Mbps network cards, so old they were made in Ireland not the far east!! However Linux's fabled network card greatness failed me, Debian had no idea what they were. And I could only see an EtherLink II in the extra modules list. Again anyone?

I'll be going back on friday armed with some Intel Pro cards if no-one can suggest a solution, but even if it is to lay my puzzled mind to rest I would be greatful.

Chris