Re: [LUG] 2.4 to 2.6: aargh or unimportant?

Alex Charrett wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Simon Waters wrote:
>
>> Typically installing a kernel, if you use GRUB as your boot loader, will
>> leave the earlier kernel settings for booting.
>

> I'd have said that you'd want keep the previous version of the kernel
> around as a backup whatever bootloader you use.

Yes, but I'm saying Debian will have made all the changes needed
automatically if you use GRUB and kernel packages.

As I managed to prove today on the mirrored box at work, where I
upgraded the kernel-image on a box using the LILO boot loader, and
forgot to run lilo afterwards. So it doesn't run an essential step
automatically, and also fails to create an option to boot the old kernel
automatically. Very 1990's feel if you use lilo with Debian, and I still
had to manually hack the lilo.conf file to get sensible mirroring config.

Seems to me the Debian packages don't understand the subtleties of
mirroring the boot disk, be it GRUB or Lilo, but I'm thinking perhaps I
was mistaken in thinking lilo would be less work.