Re: [LUG] 2.4 to 2.6: aargh or unimportant?

Adrian Midgley wrote:

> to what extent should I be alarmed (quite, very or extremely?) by this
> set of messages during the apt-get install?

To the extent the system fails to boot with the 2.6 kernel ;)

Typically installing a kernel, if you use GRUB as your boot loader, will
leave the earlier kernel settings for booting.

So the worst that is likely is boot, crash (unable to find root), boot
choose 2.4, uninstall 2.6 kernel image package (so it isn't booted from
when you are away).

Of course it adds great confidence, if you already know that you have a
Live CD, or recovery disk that does mount the root filesystem -- just in
case.

I think Debian kernels have the legacy megaraid driver built in, but I
guess if it boots into 2.6 you'll know that for sure.