Re: [LUG] Mail server recommendations?

On Monday 28 March 2005 4:55 pm, Martin White wrote:
I'm mulling a few things over at the moment and one of them is perhaps
installing an imap server that is on 24/7 and configured to collect mail
from all my accounts (about 5 or so i think) and then allows me to get them
from there.

http://www.dcglug.org.uk/wiki/?id=FetchmailMaildropImap

vimap
uw-imap
cyrus-imapd (also has admin tools so maybe a good choice?)
courier-imap
bincimap

I tried a number of these for my own system. The configuration of each one is
reminiscent of sendmail. All are completely incompatible with each other,
configuring one can prevent another one being installed correctly, trying
each one in turn is likely to result in a completely screwy system.

Notably, uw-imap is a default on some distributions and is possibly the
easiest to configure. Overall, it's fine but I occasionally get delays
logging in. uw-imap can also be a pig to remove or reinstall after trying one
of the others.

cyrus and courier are abysmal and the worst of the bunch to configure. I never
did get either of them actually working and trying to install courier after
removing cyrus (or vice versa) led to a crippled email system. It took me
longer to unpick the chaos than it takes to do a complete reinstall of the
OS.

There are few tasks that lead to such a mess as changing an IMAP config.

--

Neil Williams