Re: [LUG] Removing anmaster boot record.

aaron Moore wrote:

HI
I am tring to rejuvinate an old computer for my daughter, unfortunately she wants
windows.  I have deleted all old linux partitions and done fdisk /mbr a number of
times but I am still unable to fomat the drive prior to loading windows 98.
Formating just stops at around 71%.  In the past I have done this with fdisk /mbr
but this time it just won't have it.  Has anyne got any other methods i can try, or
has the HDD gone up country?
All the best to all

Aaron

It's been a long, long time since I did anything with W98 but I seem to
remember I had a similar problem to yours.

Most probably you're using a Linux version of fdisk.

I had to use an MSDOS version of fdisk to de-activate(?) and remove the
non-DOS partitions. For some reason the Linux fdisk didn't produce results
acceptable to the W98 installation CD.

If you can get to MSDOS from the W98 CD or have a W98 startup disk run
fdisk.

De-activate any partitions that are active, remove them and write the info
to the HD.

Hopefully W98 will now fully format the HD and you can return to the
world of endless restarts and crashes!!

Keith