Re: [LUG] Laptop recommendations

Simon Williams wrote:

AVOID ATI CARDS!!! AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!!!

So let me get this straight.. Avoid ATI cards? ;) I'd agree after the hassles I had with mine

My dad has a Compaq Presario 2100 - horrible. The lan didn't work properly (and it's worked out of the box on EVERY other computer I have ever used linux on) and it has an ATI graphics card.

Sounds like your Dad got one of the older models.

Mine is the 3000 series and other than the irritaiton I had with the Cardbus slot (sorted now) no problems Nvidia 420 Go graphics and Realtek LAN worked out of the box so maybe they learned their lesson? Admittedly I haven't tried the modem yet as I have had no need to,

Kind regards,

Julian