Re: pcflank.com was [LUG] Transplanting hard drives

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:13:23 +0000
Keith Abraham wrote:

I'm always a bit wary of pcflank's reports.
Try their quick test and then their advanced tests.
When I try the quick test it reports that I've open
ports but the advanced tests show the self same ports
are stealthed.

Draw what conclusions you like from that but I suppose
the company is in business to try and sell you it's
products.

You can draw false comfort from www.grc.com "Shields UP"
test because gooling around reveals that many people
think their tests are also unreliable.

Anyone know of a reliable online firewall tester?

Keith

I don't know of *any* online firewall tester that is reliable.  Here's my setup:

---[Modem+Router]---[IPCop]---[Switch]===Hosts

The Modem+Router performs NAT.  It *can* do firewalling, but since I have an IPCop
box anyway, I disabled that.
The IPCop box performs NAT.  I have IPCop's firewall system enabled.

*All* firewall testers that I have tries report that I am completely open to the
Internet and I really should seek help!
What!?!?!  They don't/can't see through any sort of NAT, so they cannot test
anything other than a preliminary first-line-of-defence.
If you have a firewall at any point between you and "The Internet", then it doesn't
really matter where it is - PC or router.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.