Re: [LUG] Transplanting hard drives

On Monday 24 January 2005 12:35, Neil Williams wrote:

?? All the routers I've ever seen come with a built-in firewall that closes
every port to access from the internet. It's a basic feature of all
routers.??

My Creative router modem (8133u-c1) has no firewall, as a result I get perfect
apt downloads, but http://www.pcflank.com tell me that ports are visible on
it (port 80, plus several 4 figure ports) so I hesitate to use it despite
having Guarddog installed.  This is with just an etho connection from my
laptop without any other network.

They also leave all internal ports open - so that services between
computers on the home network are not disrupted. There'll usually be a DNS
config and DHCP server also built-in and usually pre-configured.

Internal 192.168.0. -> router -> 82.217.89. etc.
all ports open    all ports closed

Yes, no problem with that.

Routers always have two addresses - the internal and the external. You can
ping both. Typically there is a Javascript or HTML admin interface
available on 192.168.0.1 or whatever is the default IP of the router. You
adjust everything there - but the firewall to close all ports on the
external IP has always been on by default on every router I've ever seen.

If I connect the Netgear DG632 router firewall which is on factory settings
(reset to make sure) and reboot the laptop I can browse and mail - but no
apt.  My system however, is "fully" protected according to pcflank, but my
long awaited for - perfect laptop Deb Sarge installation becomes outdated by
the minute!

Thanks Neil - I'm relying on you!

--
Hatherleigh