Re: [LUG] What IS an operating system ?

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 07:24:29 +0000
Richard Brown wrote:

Hi

I think I might have had a ..... well it hurt my brain anyway. This has
seemed a bit of a fruitless thread until these points were made. If I
understand it correctly. Neil seems to be saying that GNU is the system
upon which OS's are and can be built. If I have understood this
correctly BSD upon which resides Mac OS X relies on GNU and therefore
OS X is GNU based. I suppose Windows could rebuild there whole system
basing it on GNU?!?

Could anybody clarify this for me? It seems that what we are talking
about is a radical shift in how computers are run, should the
revolution truly happen. Basically it seems that if all OSs use GNU,
there would be no lockdowns in terms of use of software. I could buy in
OS X and recompile to run on Linux. Or is that a simplification?

Thanks

Rich

Yep, it'll make your brain hurt at some point!

Basically *all* current systems have to be compiled from source code into a kernel
that's executable on the architecture.  I do not believe that any of the current big
OSs are written in anything other than high-level languages such as C.  As such, all
OSs require a compiler/linker at some stage.  GNU provides such a compiler/linker.
Therefore any system whose source code is available and known to work on your
platform, could be recompiled under another system.  HURD can be compiled using the
GNU tools running on Linux.  This is the basic principle behind systems like "Linux
From Scratch".

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.