Re: [LUG] What IS an operating system ?

Hi

I think I might have had a ..... well it hurt my brain anyway. This has seemed a bit of a fruitless thread until these points were made. If I understand it correctly. Neil seems to be saying that GNU is the system upon which OS's are and can be built. If I have understood this correctly BSD upon which resides Mac OS X relies on GNU and therefore OS X is GNU based. I suppose Windows could rebuild there whole system basing it on GNU?!?

Could anybody clarify this for me? It seems that what we are talking about is a radical shift in how computers are run, should the revolution truly happen. Basically it seems that if all OSs use GNU, there would be no lockdowns in terms of use of software. I could buy in OS X and recompile to run on Linux. Or is that a simplification?

Thanks

Rich