Re: [LUG] Compaq Laptop. R3307EA

John Daragon wrote:

I've got a 3050something which I bought in March.

Hi John,

I've googled for the spec of your machine, and opinion seems to be divided. Some sites call it a P4, and some say Athlon 2000+ which is a tad weird. However:

Broadcom 802.11g - I had to use Win32 drivers and ndiswrapper. That may now have changed

I'll be getting a PCMCIA wireless card at some point :)

Sound - was non-intuitive. I'll look it up if you need me to. I still don't have the MIDI synthesiser working.

Your machine has an oddball soundcard, whereas this one has a Soundblaster, which really should be a standard bit of kit as far as Linux is concerned.

Card readers - If you find out anything please let me know

I don't have one except for the USB reader on the desktop. I *will* say that Sitecom are brilliant for Linux support. I found detailed instructions on their website for getting my Sitecom Multicard reader to play ball :) Enabling Multiple LUNs for SCSI seems to be the main ploy :) My one whinge with it is that it seems very erratic about whether it will detect the drives on boot. Sometimes it says "devices were removed/added, do you want to run the appropriate config tool?" Is there any way I can get it to act like a CD and mount the drives "on demand" when I put a card in one of them?

Trackpad - works out of the box, except for the segregated bit on the right which scrolls in the Win32 version.

Nice news.... I'll let you know how I get on :)

I'm using Mandrake 10.0 community at the moment. reading through the docs a month or so after I bought it I notice that I voided the warranty by loading a new OS on the beast. I suppose I should sue, but I'm too lazy...

From what they replied to me that sounds a load of cobblers :) As long as it has the original OS installed if returned to them they don't seem worried ;)

Kind regards,

Julian