Re: [LUG] Compaq Laptop. R3307EA

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 13:14, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

Spot of advice please on an intended purchase.  The above laptop is on
sale via www.pcworld.co.uk as a web exclusive.  It's a very nice spec
for a tidy price, so I'd like to replace my Schmony Vileo with it.  Any
comments on getting it to work with Linux?  The big stumbling block I've
had with the 2.6.* kernels has been the trackpad.  The Sony has a
Synaptics, but the Compaq has an ALPS trackpad (I'm assuming it doesn't
yodel when I move it ;)).  Any thoughts on the rest of the spec?

Full spec is on http://www.pcworld.co.uk -> Computers -> Laptops.  It's
the only Compaq listed :)

I've got a 3050something which I bought in March.

Broadcom 802.11g - I had to use Win32 drivers and ndiswrapper. That may now
have changed

Sound - was non-intuitive. I'll look it up if you need me to. I still don't
have the MIDI synthesiser working.

Card readers - If you find out anything please let me know

Trackpad - works out of the box, except for the segregated bit on the right
which scrolls in the Win32 version.

I'm using Mandrake 10.0 community at the moment.  reading through the docs a
month or so after I bought it I notice that I voided the warranty by loading
a new OS on the beast. I suppose I should sue, but I'm too lazy...

jd

--
John Daragon           argv[0] limited               john@xxxxxxxxxx
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK