Re: [LUG] NTP gibberish

On Sunday 10 February 2002 9:26 pm, Paul Sutton wrote:
Hi

There is an article explaining NTP in the Feb issue of Linux Format - pg 70
(well it's pg 70 of the dvd issue anyway).

HTH

Paul

The only problem with that Paul, is that it was precisely this article that
started me off on getting the LAN to timesync again after giving up some time
ago! I get LXF by subscription so I already had the Feb issue at the time. On
Mandrake 8.1, the commands used by Hoyt Duff didn't match and the default RPM
installation of NTP4 left me unable to sync client machines.

Ho-hum. It's working now, after commenting out a line of /etc/ntp.conf
(multicast client) - this is still active in the server config, but needs to
be disabled on the client machines. Makes sense when I write it that way,
doesn't seem so obvious from the gibberish in the NTP FAQ!!

--

Neil Williams