[LUG] NTP gibberish

Does anyone understand NTP?

LinuxFormat ran an article on NTP - supposedly making it easy - but on
Mandrake 8.1 the commands given just don't exist. I have ntp-4.1.0 installed
and the article talks about using ntp -q on the client. ntp doesn't exist, I
have ntpd ntpc and ntpq.

ntpd -q just hangs - unless I duplicate the entire config from the server
which is pointless as that forces the server to go online.

The NTP documentation is complete garbage meant only for the Professor who
wrote it, the NTP FAQ re-hashes the same jibberish about leap seconds UTC and
falsetickers.

I have NTP working - to a fashion - on the dial-up server. What I need is a
simple command I can use on the CLIENT machines on the network to get that
time from the server OFFLINE.

Right now I have to duplicate the entire ntp.conf file to each client and run
ntptimeset -s or ntpd -q as root on each one whilst already connected to the
internet. Why should I have to do this when the server already has the
correct time, obtained using the same commands in /etc/ppp/ip-up.local?

So far, every attempt to get ntpd to just use the local server refuses:
Found 1 servers, require 3 servers.

Does anyone have a local LAN timeserver usable offline?

--

Neil Williams