Re: [LUG] linux training

Steve Marvell wrote:

Who do I contact re: the site and costs?

The Ylem training centre, Dulverton.

I don't have contact details to hand try;

http://www.ylem.co.uk/home.htm

Haven't done specific Linux training, but I've done Unix
training for MAFF and Siemens Nixdorf in a previous job. My
rates are very reasonable, unless you drag me to EC1 ;)

And where do you reside?

EX5 (Just East of Exeter).

Training materials is always the bug bear, although I have some
notes on "free" training material from various places, haven't
looked them up yet. My previous employer owned the rights to
some of Siemen's Unix training material, which was good as they
got royalties if Siemen's ran the courses themselves elsewhere
in the world.

We (Faye and I) were pondering doing Linux training in Exeter,
but unless you can piggyback of an established training centre I
think it is going to be tough to make a viable professional
course at the kind of prices local business, or people paying
for themselves expect in the SW.

In the South East courses start from 150GBP a day per trainee,
and three or four hundred is not unusual, and 1000GBP+ is
around. Whilst some of these seem excessive, and exploit vendor
locking, by the time you've supplied parking, a computer, and
paid accomodation and trainer fees, it soon mounts up.

I agree that evening school type classes and fees is what people
probably want initially, but most of these can only offer the
value they do as they are leveraging the assets of a school or
training center.

I keep meaning to ask if perhaps St Peter's School would be a
suitable venue in Exeter ;)