Re: [LUG] funded project, doctors need communication system

On Monday 11 February 2002 12:20, you wrote:
Adrian Midgley wrote:
Requirements
---------------------
The LMC wants to be able to run a threaded discussion protected by
password security.
In my view the connections should use SSL/ssh or similar security, since
matters discussed might touch on patient information that would allow
inference attacks, and also since NHS sysadmins should not be tempted to
allow anyone access to such streams of information.

Would a private newsgroup server meet the threaded discussion
need? It would thus not mandate any specific client, and
possibly a web interface could be made available for those
unwilling to use a news client.

A reasonable approach IMHO.  Is hosting an NNTP server easily available?
Co-location probably is over the top, so can it be done with a virtual server
or with private newsgroups on an available system?

I think News has many useful characteristics for this, but it would be a
"new" technology to most of the users.   Very reasonable approach I'd say,
just comes down to installation support, getting it going support for each
user, and then maintainability.

Archiving requirements?
I'd suggest archiving to storage in the secretariat, which does have CD-R
burning abilities.  The volume thus far has been low, one may hope that the
number of articles would increase, but I suspect that modest amounts of disk
would hold it all for a while.

I tend to think in terms of minutes and sumaries rather than an archive in
use for every passing comment.

Further to that, I see a need for a collaborative document preparation,
manual updating and generally holding easily-alterable pages in common.
THis is not the immediate need but should be considered.

I'm a tad unclear as to whether this include connectivity
issues, i.e. do you want a bank of modems included in the work,
would it be expected to run on the same server etc. Or were you
expecting an Internet connectivity based solution? i.e. These
systems already dial into the Internet but are firewalled.

Internet.
We have the connectivity, will need to identify hosting arrangments.
I was getting at a Wiki or an equivalent, as a possible later addition, or if
the main thing was eg a threaded discussion board cum publishing system based
in PHP then PHPWiki might fit right in from day one.

Collaborative document work, like a Wiki, or like version
control and workflow (such as Lotus Notes).

Notes also does threaded discussions, but it wasn't easy to use,
or terribly good last time I looked. I think it supports NNTP.

Our office manager has Notes experience, and I've used Notes systems in the
past.  It didn't seem a popular choice really, albeit more reliable than MS
Exchange-based systems.

--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/