Re: [LUG] Hardware - Modem & Sound

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Mark Harvey wrote:

> I have just connected an external modem (US Robotics Spotster 33.6) to the
> computer instead of the internal hsp/wunmodem that was useless under
> Linux. However, I still don't seem able to get it to work - I get the
> message /dev/modem not found.

Sounds like you have not got the symlink/dev/modem  pointing to your
serial device eg /dev/ttyS0 for your first com port.  Use modemtool to set
it up.

> Also, I have an onboard Yamaha DS-XG soundcard which I don't know how to
> get working with Linux.

Try running sndconfig (Or sndcfg)  and see if its listed there.  If this
is a out of the box kernel, it should go ok.  If its not htere, its a case
of hunting around for the sound driver on the net somewhere.

Peter Hatton
E-mail:  bramley at termisoc.org
Webpage: http://www.termisoc.org/~bramley
PGP Fingerprint: 1558 65D7 C77E 5DB3 CD8E 70CF 56DF 2DBC 40DB 06EC