Re: [LUG] Swapfile (was gcc cannot make an executable)

Hi,

I think the swapfile is my problem.  I'm using a 300 Mhz PII so the power
should be ok. However, I've just run 'free' for the following result:

          total      used      free     shared     buffers        cached
mem:      64212      49076    15136      31872        1760         32296
+/- buff/cache       15020    49192
Swap:         0          0        0

Obviously I need to set up the swapfile, but I cannot see how to do this.
I thought I had set up a swapfile when installing Linux (from the Linux
Answers mag - which does say to do that) but it is not appearing above.

HELP!

TIA,

Mark Harvey

On Sun 30 Apr, Robert Callaghan wrote:
[snip]

> My instant thought on this is:
> Although you have 96 Mb of ram, how much swap space do you have?
> You have got a fair amount of silicon based memory, but you often need a
> *LOT* of memory (and CPU power (spot another thread)) to compile stuff
> (which is where the swap space comes in).
>
> Just my first thoughts.

[snip]

--
Striking Home!