[LUG]Re: HP Pavilion, Wifi

Hi Henry,

(Assuming debian 12 as you mention non-free-firmware)

When I've previously needed nonfree firmware for wifi and debian, I've downloaded it via another PC from somewhere like https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=firmware-iwlwifi (matching what's needed - there's a bundle too somewhere) and copied it to a usb drive.

Plug that into the laptop and mount it if it doesn't automatically, then install using dpkg rather than apt. "dpkg -i firmwarename.deb"   Reboot, and all should work.

I use an HP Pavilion myself which I got the firmware on using that method, but there's so many sub-models it may not be the exact same machine or firmware.