[LUG]Re: Introducing New Member

On Tue, 2023-10-10 at 07:57 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2023, Helen McCall wrote:
>
> > I am a retired research scientist living in Plympton St Maurice. I
> > first learnt to program computers using ALGOL in the 1960s, at Hatfield
> > Polytechnic. I went on to use various mainfame computers, mostly ICL
> > Prime series running PRIMOS.
>
> Hi Helen.
>
> Welcome to the group - (Fae Scotland, but dinnay worry aboot that)
>
> Hope you have finally recovered from your exposure to Primos - (Although I
> don't think ICL had anything to do with them). I used them in the early
> 80's while studying in Edinburgh and if I never see one again I won't be
> sorry!

Oh I liked them :-) When I started work as a systems programmer at what was
then Plymouth Polytechnic there was a mixture of ICL and Primes. I got to know
some of the Primos innards fairly well. Eventually the ICL's went, and then the
Primes being replaced by Sun Microsystems.

John.

--
John Horne | Senior Operations Analyst | Technology and Information Services
University of Plymouth | Drake Circus | Plymouth | Devon | PL4 8AA | UK

This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of
the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient then
copying, distribution or other use of the information contained is strictly
prohibited and you should not rely on it. If you have received this email in error
please let the sender know immediately and delete it from your system(s). Internet
emails are not necessarily secure. While we take every care, University of Plymouth
accepts no responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan emails
and their attachments. University of Plymouth does not accept responsibility for any
changes made after it was sent. Nothing in this email or its attachments constitutes
an order for goods or services unless accompanied by an official order form.