[LUG]Re: Introducing New Member

On Tue, 10 Oct 2023, Helen McCall wrote:

I am a retired research scientist living in Plympton St Maurice. I
first learnt to program computers using ALGOL in the 1960s, at Hatfield
Polytechnic. I went on to use various mainfame computers, mostly ICL
Prime series running PRIMOS.

Hi Helen.

Welcome to the group - (Fae Scotland, but dinnay worry aboot that)

Hope you have finally recovered from your exposure to Primos - (Although I don't think ICL had anything to do with them). I used them in the early 80's while studying in Edinburgh and if I never see one again I won't be sorry!

Currently I am using a Raspberry Pi 4B as my workstation, and am
looking forward to getting a 5B next year. My RPI 4B is the most
powerful computer I have ever used, and is also the most fun to use.
The 5B is very much better, so I will be in clover next year!

The Pi v5 is indeed a capable little system (I have one, thanks Pi) but I fear it's going into the desktop and small server area more than the hobbyist hacker, but that's progres for you. the one thing that will be attractive to it is the lower power it uses - absolute max. 25 watts and that would be running it completely flat-out and powering some peripherals, so as a fron-end to a 24/7 server it's going to beat my current home server which idles at about 55 watts plus the spinning rust.

Cheers,

-Gordon