[LUG]Re: No Internet on aDebian box

Dear Aaron,

> I have Debian computer I use for my CNC Router. It has completely lost
> internet connection. I think it happened while I was trying to install VM
> Ware. Some how I think all the files that connects the internet have been
> deleted (is this possible). I say this because if I run Debian from a live
> USB flash drive it connects automatically. Can anyone explain what files I
> would need to copy over. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Since it's Debian, it'll use a progam called NetworkManager to connect
to the internet. Unless your network configuration is very complex, I
would suggest trying to use the 'nmcli' (NetworkManager CLI) command
to recreate the connection. Try running 'nmcli device' in a terminal
to show a list of network devices and their names. Then, run something
like 'nmcli device connect enp1s0', where you replace enp1s0 with each
device name until one of them returns a result like "Device 'enp1s0'
successfully activated with '549e0855-4f72-4d13-8f4e-cf11a27e64fc'."

You may need to use 'sudo' with these commands. If none of the devices
activate correctly, it could be because your network was protected with
a password (very common with Wi-Fi networks) and NetworkManager has
forgotten the password. It could also be that the device itself isn't
seen by NetworkManager, which could be anything from faulty drivers
after an Debian upgrade to a loose Ethernet cable somewhere.

Finally, if trying to run nmcli itself fails, you might want to consider
reinstalling Debian as it could be a more serious issue that would be
difficult to diagnose exactly.

Feel free to paste the results of running these commands in an email
to this list; there is no confidential information in such results.

Hope this helps,

Sebastian