[LUG]Re: Building a home server

On 23/02/2023 08:12, Richard Brown wrote:
Hi All

I am about to commence building a home server. I am hoping to run it using low powered equipment. A while ago David Bell sent me a AMD Ryzen 5 2400G GPU and I am hoping to build using this. He suggested getting a Gigabyte B450 series motherboard. I am going to check on Ebay but before I do I just wanted to see if anyone had one lying about (!) and wanted to sell it.

The other question I had around this GPU is whether it is a good option for a home server build. The build will run home automation and a plex server at the start. I am hoping that it will draw around 20w which will be relatively cheap to run.

Thanks for the help.

The motherboard is more important than the CPU (GPU is the graphics chip, irrelevant for a file server). For a server like that, bump up the RAM as much as possible and make sure it has a gigabit ethernet socket. From experience, make sure whatever case you put all this in has capacity to add a 2nd ethernet port and a 2nd drive (or go mad with a massive HD in the first place).

Running a Plex server is easy. It can be handy to be able to offload the streaming transcoding to a GPU but given yours is a home server (likely to have a low load) an R5 should cope on its own.

I'm running LAMP (for web dev), plex, courier email and SoGo C&S on a P3 with 4Gb without any hassle.